The 2022 Summary of U.S. Agricultural Confined Space-Related Injuries and Fatalities by Purdue University's Agricultural Safety and Health Program reveals a concerning 40% increase in reported cases involving agricultural confined spaces compared to the previous year. No fewer than 83 cases, 24 fatal and 59 non-fatal1, involving agricultural confined spaces were documented in 2022.
View the full Infographic here.
- Cases increase 40.7% over 2021.
- There were no fewer than 42 grain related entrapments in 2022 representing a 44.8% increase over 2021.
- 2022 had the highest number of grain entrapments in over a decade.
- Eight incidents involved more than one victim.
- Three grain dust explosions resulting in 18 non-fatal injuries were documented2.
- 29% (24) OF 2022 CASES were fatal compared to 59% historically.
* Information from the Purdue University’s Agricultural Safety and Health Program’s 2022 Summary of U.S. Agricultural Confined Space-Related Injuries and Fatalities
1A case refers to one individual victim. Some incidents involve multiple victims or cases.
2Grain dust explosion related cases are included in the data being reported in this summary.