To say 2020 held many unexpected surprises would be an understatement. While words like "social distancing" and "pandemic" entered our daily lexicon, and Zoom meetings became standard, the feed & grain industry was deemed essential and worked hard to remain productive in a new normal.
What were the most clicked on news items for our industry this year? Below is a countdown of the Top 10 according to feedandgrain.com.
10. Minnesota Farmer Charged with Cheating Grain Elevator -- Federal prosecutors say he had two co-conspirators who worked at CHS elevator in Herman (June 2, 2020)
9. Co-op Officer Pleads Guilty to Grain-Blending Scheme -- Calvin Diehl entered his plea to one count of conspiracy to defraud the U.S. (June 12, 2020)
8. Grain Elevator Explosion in Royal, IA -- No injuries reported from incident at Ag Partners (August 26, 2020)
7. The Andersons Fined $292K in Fatal Accident -- OSHA: Safety violations led to deaths of two men in July 2019 (January 17, 2020)
6. Zen-Noh Grain Acquires 35 Bunge Grain Elevators -- Deal includes several operating U.S. grain origination elevators along Mississippi River (April 21, 2020)
5. Beirut Blast Wiped Out 85% of Grain Silos -- Blast left city's largest grain elevator and grain terminal severely damaged (August 5, 2020)
4. Sukup Breaks Record for World's Largest Grain Bin -- Bin designed for Golden Grain Energy will hold 2.2 million bushels and reach 155 feet, 7 inches (October 7, 2020)
3. ADM Grain Bin Collapses in LaBelle, MO -- Residents asked to evacuate (April 15, 2020)
2. Storms Sweep through Midwest, Destroying Grain Bins, Crops -- Winds as high as 100 mph hit eastern Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin and parts of Illinois (August 11, 2020)
1. U.S. Cracks Down on Ethanol-Based Hand Sanitizer -- Trump administration tightens restrictions, forcing ethanol companies to stop production of sanitizer (April 30, 2020)