Create a free Feed & Grain account to continue reading

Bunge Grain Elevator Fire in Homer, IL

Electrical motor malfunction caught elevator shaft on fire

Fire 2821775 1920

Several area fire departments helped douse a fire in an elevator shaft at Bunge Grain Wednesday morning, reports The News-Gazette.

β€œOne of the elevator shafts caught fire because we believe an electrical motor went bad,” said Homer Fire Chief Don Happ.

β€œThat led to a small grain explosion which caught the grain on fire and the elevator shaft on fire.”

No one was hurt and firefighters had all the right equipment to take on the fire in shaft, which Happ said is 125 feet high. He did not have a damage estimate but speculated the company would need to replace a lot of equipment.

Page 1 of 133
Next Page