Technology offers an infinite amount of data collection opportunities — too many, some may argue; however, the ease-of-access and accuracy of the information means nothing if you're not going to use it in a way that gives it relevance. When attempting to identify trends, programs like Google Analytics
, a service that generates detailed website traffic statistics, allow the numbers — and the consumer — to speak for themselves.
Within a print edition of Feed & Grain
magazine, our "Product Spotlight" features aim to provide relevant information by taking a cross-platform approach. You see, each product we run includes a unique URL directing readers to product/company information in our Online Buyer's Guide, allowing the interested party to view additional product information or contact the company directly. This practice, as well as organic searches
, account for most of our Buyer's Guide traffic and gives us a solid indication of the products readers are interested in purchasing.
Meanwhile, Feed & Grain's surveys consistently reveal two timeless trends among our readership: a) product information ranks high in terms of relevance and demand; b) almost everyone is interested in reading about what their peers are up to — from a purchasing and best practices standpoint. Then it occurred to me: Why not give them both?
Using the data collected by Google Analytics from Jan. 1 until Dec. 31, 2012, here is a list of Feed & Grain's "Top 10 Products" of 2012:
- LevAlert Steel Bin Level Indicator by KC Supply Co. Inc.
- Bin Whip Series 9250 by Pneumat Systems Inc.
- Seedburo Grain Probes by Seedburo Equipment Co.
- Continous Flow and Recycling Dryers from LMM LAW-MAROT-MILPRO
- WL Portland Systems Inc.'s Feed Mill Design/Build Services
- LMM LAW-MAROT-MILPRO's Rotary Grain Cleaners
- Dunbar Kapple Vac-U-Vator by Christianson Systems Inc.
- Agridry LLC's Bullseye Grain Temperature/Moisture Controller
- Neogen Corp.'s Reveal for Aflatoxin SQ and Accuscan III Reader
- Automatic Truck Probe by Intersystems
In addition to satisfying voyeuristic tendencies, hopefully this list will offer someone, somewhere, direction with a future aquisition.
Remember to visit Feed & Grain's Online Buyer's Guide, the industry's most comprehensive collection of the feed and grain industry's products and services, to search for all your equipment needs.
Note: Feed & Grain's FREE iPad app, 2013 Equipment & Services Guide, is available at the Apple Store.