Technology offers an infinite amount of data collection opportunities — too many, some may argue; however, the ease-of-access and accuracy of the information means nothing if you're not going to use it in a way that gives it relevance. When attempting to identify trends, programs like Google Analytics, a service that generates detailed website traffic statistics, allow the numbers — and the consumer — to speak for themselves.
Within a print edition of Feed & Grain magazine, our "Product Spotlight" features aim to provide relevant information by taking a cross-platform approach. You see, each product we run includes a unique URL directing readers to product/company information in our Online Buyer's Guide, allowing the interested party to view additional product information or contact the company directly. This practice, as well as organic searches, account for most of our Buyer's Guide traffic and gives us a solid indication of the products readers are interested in purchasing.
Meanwhile, Feed & Grain's surveys consistently reveal two timeless trends among our readership: a) product information ranks high in terms of relevance and demand; b) almost everyone is interested in reading about what their peers are up to — from a purchasing and best practices standpoint. Then it occurred to me: Why not give them both?
Using the data collected by Google Analytics from Jan. 1 until Dec. 31, 2012, here is a list of Feed & Grain's "Top 10 Products" of 2012:
- LevAlert Steel Bin Level Indicator by KC Supply Co. Inc.
- Bin Whip Series 9250 by Pneumat Systems Inc.
- Seedburo Grain Probes by Seedburo Equipment Co.
- Continous Flow and Recycling Dryers from LMM LAW-MAROT-MILPRO
- WL Portland Systems Inc.'s Feed Mill Design/Build Services
- LMM LAW-MAROT-MILPRO's Rotary Grain Cleaners
- Dunbar Kapple Vac-U-Vator by Christianson Systems Inc.
- Agridry LLC's Bullseye Grain Temperature/Moisture Controller
- Neogen Corp.'s Reveal for Aflatoxin SQ and Accuscan III Reader
- Automatic Truck Probe by Intersystems
In addition to satisfying voyeuristic tendencies, hopefully this list will offer someone, somewhere, direction with a future aquisition.